Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Favor"ite Ideas


The most oft-asked question from brides and grooms is "what do you think of wedding favors?" Hmmmm...how to answer. Of all the details that go into planning a wedding, ironically, I think choosing favors can be one of the hardest decisions to make. I've witnessed couples wrack their brains over the perfect gift for their guests.

My advice is to think practically when choosing a favor. When scouring the internets for the elusive unique favor, put yourself in your guest's seat and consider what you would like to take home and use. Better yet, think what you'd like to nibble right there at table number twelve. I always encourage my brides and grooms to give edible favors when possible. Why? Well, from the planner's birds-eye view, when I am clearing table at the end of a wedding, I either see lots of favors left unopened, or I see lots of favor boxes opened and the goodies are always missing. Ninety-nine percent of the time when a favor is edible, it is consumed before the evening is half-way through! On the other hand, when a single votive holder or other such gift is left for guests, at the end of the evening I end up packing those back up for the bride and groom to take back home. Sad, but true.

Another great idea that I'm seeing more often: In lieu of a favor, the bride and groom make a donation to their favorite charity in honor of their wedding day and their guests. AWESOME. This gift is truly a gift. If you choose this route, you can tastefully denote your "wedding favors" in either the program or on the menu card or on the guests seating assignment.

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!!

image via Williams-Sonoma website

No comments:

Post a Comment